Pages

3.18.2014

Bookworm? Nah.

A few years ago, Sister-in-law K gave me, maybe it was Hank, a book. I was grateful for the book and had every intention of reading it at the time she gave it to us. But, I'm slow at getting around to reading books. I'm the kind of person that won't quit till the job is done, so, if I'm going to read a book I want to  read it from cover to cover without stopping. That, is a luxury of my youth.  I made a goal for spring break to finish a book, which I'm happy to report I did finish, a day after the fact but I did finish it, and I am the better for it.

My preferred reading genre is murder-mystery, it's fluff reading I know. The book I read this past week is a biography, I like reading about other people's lives (who doesn't? think of the popularity of blogs :)) Biographies are windows into the times and lives of the person being profiled, I tend to put myself in their place as I read, wondering how I would have dealt with some of their obstacles and trials.  This time though, I couldn't put myself in the person's place, it was too painful, too stressful, too sad, too anger-raising. Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, it is well written, and I am in awe of the man profiled. I read this book:


Are you familiar with it? It's the story of Louis Zamperini, a WWII bombardier and POW in a Japanese concentration camp.  As I read I was humbled by his will to live, his will to overcome, and his willingness to change. I was angered at the injustices of humanity and the horror of war. I now more fully understand the expression 'war is hell'. 

Books can bring change in our lives, the bible changes lives, as does the Book of Mormon, and this book has brought change to my way of thinking on what is truly a hardship and what is a mere inconvenience. Having a flight delayed/canceled, inconvenient. Seeing a loved one suffer, hardship. My perspective on life and its trials has shifted, for the better I hope. If you haven't read Unbroken, you should, your life will be the better for it. I warn you though, it's a tough read, not the flow of words, but the atrocities of war are hard to swallow. We are told that unless we study history we are apt to repeat it, I  hope we never repeat another world war. 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely loved this book...it's definitely a life changer. And I agree--some parts were painful to read but man--it sure puts life in perspective. I heard they're making it into a movie.

    ReplyDelete