Pages

2.15.2014

Snippets

Things that have been on my mind...

The weather.  It's been cray-zee!

One day this,


two days later...sixty eight and windows wide open. It's been like this most of the winter, literally freezing one day, then warm and sunny a few days later. Crazy, I tell you, crazy.


The Winter Olympics.

Oh the moaning and groaning of the conditions at Sochi. Really? I mean, must the 'Ugly American' be so pervasive? So things aren't perfect, what party is? Have these people not ever thrown a party and had a few things go wrong? We're not all Martha Stewart perfect. I'm sure there were imperfections when the U.S. hosted this party but we didn't hear about that, now did we. Okay, enough of that. On to this:

Did you see the U. S. play Russia in hockey? Oh, my!! I don't understand anything about hockey, other than little puck has to go in the net for a point to score. The team with the most points wins. If there's a tie at the end of regulation time, you go into overtime, still tied, you have a shoot out. I was on pins and needles. Wow! Awesome.

photo cred: Doug Mills New York Times

My new hero, Noelle Pikus-Pace. What an amazing athlete.

photo cred: Getty Images

Not familiar with her story? Read about her comeback and her silver medal run

The Biggest Loser.  

So much has been said about the huge amount of weight this year's winner lost, I won't weigh in on that (sorry about the pun). I used to watch the show, hoping for motivation, inspiration in my never ending quest to lose weight. More often than not, I'd find myself dejected and depressed after watching an episode. Why can't I lose eight pounds in one week? How do they do that? I want what they have! So I quit watching, it help me not feel like a loser for not losing humongous amounts of weight in a short period of time.  But the damage is done. 

My battle with the scale seems to be my lot in life. There are periods where I feel confidant no matter that I'm overweight and there are times when, well, all I wan't to do is crawl into a hole and never come out because, seriously, our society values the thin and beautiful much more than any other. It's a daily struggle. On the weight losing wagon and then off, on-off, on-off, on-off, right now I'm on. It's not any easier this time around, every weekly weigh-in I hope for that magical Biggest Loser eight pound loss but instead I find a pound lost or a stay the same.  And, in my mind I hear the Biggest Loser host and trainers saying "ah man, what did you not do this week that you only lost a pound". Then, I review my week, look and my food log and see that I did everything right and still the BL magic doesn't happen. I hate that show. In a month's time I've lost eight pounds, I should be jumping for joy, right? But no, I feel disappointment, to the point that I want to give up. But, I can't I've made a commitment to myself, hopefully this time I'll stay on the wagon long enough to see miraculous results, even if it takes a year or two. 

My students.

When did parents decide that being a parent was too much of a bother? Why, why, why do parents quit on their children!? I don't care how difficult a child might be you don't throw them out on the streets. Here's a wake-up call, when you choose to become a parent it's a commitment to another human. I know how challenging teenagers can be, I'm with them five days a week eight hours a day and then, sometimes on the weekends, I'm with them some more. They are not dogs that can be thrown out because they become a bit of a burden. Okay, enough of the soapbox.

Sunsets and sunrises.

I'm obsessed with them.  Mother Nature has been in fine form too.


And that's what's been on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment