Pages

1.20.2014

Not Ready for National Geographic

Two weeks back at work and already a day off...life is good! You'd think that I'd sleep-in on day such as today, seems the norm for most, sleeping in on a day off. For some reason my circadian rhythm doesn't allow me to do that, which is fine, too many things to do to stay in bed past 5:30. Crazy, I know. 

I decided to take advantage of my early morning weirdness and head out for some one-on-one with the rising sun. It's been a while since I wandered the nether regions of the ranch in the wee hours of the morning. Mr. Sun did not disappoint.



After a few minutes of looking east, I turned to the west. Not as vibrant but beautiful nonetheless.


When I would take early morning walks with Dog a few years back, we'd often encounter wildlife. I'd sometimes berate myself for not having the camera with me. This morning I thought 'hey, V this is perfect. you have the camera, you're in a somewhat hidden area, wait quietly and you'll capture some wildlife on film.' So I waited. 

And waited. 

And waited. 

And waited. 

Evidently, the coyotes didn't deliver the memo that I'd be hanging around ready to take free portraits. Dang. In my hour of waiting, I managed to capture:

A fish coming up for breakfast.


Two ducks taking flight.



Some fungi on a stump.


And five vultures catching some rays before they headed off to find some dead carcass.  


I was freezing by the time I decided to head back to the house. Forty five degrees is not freezing but factor in a stiff breeze and I was ready for warmth. I'm not quite ready for National Geographic to come calling, how do they do it?!

Crossing the bridge back to our side of the ranch I glanced back and saw this


Mr. Sun never lets me down. I also had the bovine army standing sentinel on our side, crazy cows. 



I need to be better prepared on my next foray into wildlife photography, hot chocolate, socks with the shoes, little things like that. I just know there's a deer or coyote that's ready for its close-up.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pics, V...makes me miss East Texas and living in the country. :-)

    ReplyDelete