Pages

11.02.2013

One of Those Days

Ever have one of those days? One of those days that is full of beauty? Today was one of those. 

It began with the sun peeking through the redbud.


Oh how I love morning light so bright, clean, radiant. I couldn't resist taking a few more pics of how golden it made the leaves look. Reminded me of the aspen trees from my college days.



As I was walking back to the house, for some weird, unknown reason, I glanced over at Ol' Red. Glad I did because....

....this was on the side view mirror.



It was big, almost the length of the mirror. Awesome.

On the agenda for today was a bit of yard work along with gutter cleaning but that was put on the back burner, the wind was blowing the leaves down faster than I could get them out of the gutters, I'll try again next week. But, the leaves were beauties.


I also gathered random piles of twigs and small branches. Actually, it was just an excuse to use the Ranger. Love the new toy. After piling the twigs and branches it was time to take them to the tree crematorium, aka the burn pile. As I was dumping said twigs and branches, out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving along the shoreline of the lake. I stopped, looked more closely, and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Geese. First thought was 'when did Father-in-law get geese', then it hit me, these were Canadian geese. I was surprised the noise of the Ranger didn't cause them to flee. I needed my Canon. Hoping that the noise (I'd turned off the Ranger while I watched them) and movement wouldn't cause them to fly off, I quickly headed back to the house and grabbed the camera.

Once back I made like a National Geographic photographer and stealthily inched toward them. 


They walked this way and that, completely oblivious to my presence. 



I came to a conclusion, see this fella, or gal as the case may be, it and another on the opposite end, stood guard while the others rested. Pretty neat, I'd say.


The cows were starting to stir so I had to head back and close the gate. As I headed it back, I debated on whether or not I should go back and stalk the geese a bit more. I couldn't resist the urge. Glad I didn't. 

Hey, ma, this place has a pool, can we go swim?



I watched them for a while longer and thought I might drive to the other side of the lake and once again sneak up on them. I wasn't so lucky. By the time I made it around they were gone, although, I don't think they flew off, I never saw them take off. 

Loved seeing these Canadian visitors. I'd love it if they wintered on our lake but I don't think it's far enough south for them. 

It was a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment