Pages

2.24.2013

Mil and Fil

This April will mark Hank's and my thirty first wedding anniversary. To this statement my mom would jokingly say '¡qué aguante!' which translates loosely to 'what stamina!'. As you married folks know, marriage sometimes requires a bit of stamina.  I've been blessed, as has Hank, with wonderful in-laws, which goes a long way toward having a happy successful marriage.  Mother-in-law and Father-in-law are, next to my own parents, two of the kindest, most loving individuals I know.  Mil and Fil will literally give you the shirt off their back if that's what you need.  Fil has the corniest sense of humor, he is the king of puns, and Mil has the patience of Job when it comes to dealing with people most consider a bit odd.

Every Valentine's Day, Mil gives Hank and me some little something; I can't remember a year when she hasn't. This year she gave us some tulips, not the kind you put in water, though those are quite lovely, but the kind that come in a pot. I have throughly enjoyed watching them grow. 

A couple of days after we got the tulips, I decided to do a pseudo time lapse of them, just so I could see how much they change in a twelve to twenty four hour period of time.  I began on the sixteenth and stopped on the twenty second. I generally took the photos when I got home from work, though there were a couple of times I took them just before I left because I was amazed at how much they had grown overnight. 

Ya wanna see? Yes? I was hoping you would.

February 16 (the flowers are just beginning to poke through)

February 17

February 18

February 18 (I couldn't resist a close-up)

February 19

February 20 (this one was taken in the morning before work, twelve hours after the previous one)

February 21

February 21 (again, I couldn't pass up the lighting and a close-up)

February 22

February 22
The last shot is perhaps my favorite, I love how perfect the inside of the tulip looks.  The contrast of the dark stamen against the petals is gorgeous to me. 

I'm somewhat sad that after they finish blooming I'll have to throw them out. Unlike places north of me, tulips are not suited to outdoor planting in my area of Texas. I'm going to research and see if I can keep the bulbs in the fridge till next year and try planting them again, wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. You can keep the stalks going, and they make a nice potted plant. Then when they die back, bring the pot inside and cover it and put it in a freeze-free zone. Then you can force them whenever you want or just let them come back. They need a certain amount of cold before they will bloom. Here's a link http://www.garden.org/howtos/index.php?q=show&id=1326

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, I'll give it a try. Hopefully, I'll have beautiful tulips again next year.

      Delete
  2. Those are such beautiful pictures. I love hopeful spring flowers. I like how that last tulip looks so innocent and eager - like a toddler reaching for its mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete