Pages

12.25.2012

A Few Of My Favorite Things

The Sound of Music was on television recently, made me think of Daughter when she was a wee lass. Back in the dark ages, before the advent of DVDs, we would rent the Sound of Music on an almost weekly basis. Each time we did, she'd watch the movie over and over and over and over, I'm surprised we didn't break the tape while rewinding it (remember having to 'be kind and rewind?). The promos for the movie brought back some pleasant memories of time spent with Daughter, they also got me to thinking about the songs, only one of which I can remember, My Favorite Things. 

With the tune playing incessantly in my mind for the past week, I came up with a list of my favorite things. Although I don't think about them when the dog barks or when the bee stings, I do think on these when I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed, and as Maria sings, then I don't feel so bad. 

I thought of trying to write this so that it would follow the meter of Rogers and Hammerstein but, um, yeah, they were masters of their craft, so I'll just cut to the chase.

Raindrops on just about anything, I love the little prisms they become reflecting mini rainbows as the sunlight filters through them. 

Grapefruit. Next to raspberries they are my number two favorite fruit. Unfortunately, due to a prescription I'm currently taking, I haven't been able to enjoy even one this year, I'm going to have to talk to Doc King about this.


Flowers. They are perfect in every way. And who doesn't brighten up when given a flower?


A full moon. I miss my evening walks that Dog and I used to take, I'm not brave enough to venture out by my self, too many things that go bump in the night out here on the ranch.


An empty, windy road. I dream of being the driver they always mention in the disclaimer on car commercials: Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. 


Clouds. From below or above, it doesn't matter, they intrigue me. I should become a meteorologist. 


I have many other favorite things, most dealing with nature but my most favorite thing is not a thing at all. It's the little body and personality that belong to these two little feet.


I'd like to know, what are some of your favorite things? I really would because you see, in blogging my MOST favorite thing is reading your comments, they make me smile and bring me joy.

3 comments:

  1. Great list! I have to agree with you on the empty winding road thing. I was thinking tonight as we drove home from my in-laws', I love Christmas lights and seeing Christmas trees through the windows of cute little homes. I hope you had a very blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite things (just a couple): blue ribbon, photo Christmas cards from friends, bright colored drapes, good music, my laptop, and fabulous movies. The Sound of Music happens to be one of my top 10 movies and I can quote it from the very first line (music and all) all the way to the end when they are walking over the mountain!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite things: Kids home for Christmas, missionary farewells and homecomings, coming home and finding Kym working on something everyday, Gilmer 2nd Ward, a bent fishing rod, autumn, etc.... Can you remember the first time you saw "The Sound of Music"? Mine... 1965, my older brother took me and my younger brother to the Capitol Theatre on State Street in Salt Lake City. The movie played continuously in SLC for three years!!! I think I had a crush on Julie Andrews...

    ReplyDelete