Pages

5.28.2012

Miracles

What do you think of when you hear the word 'miracle'? Christ healing the sick? Turning water into wine? Raising the dead? If you do, you are one hundred percent correct. These were indeed miraculous events. But, I'd like to propose that miracles continue to happen. Indulge me, if you will, while I share my thoughts of today.


Driving home from Dallas I had a long time to ponder on the events that just took place in my family's life, each one a miracle to me. I would have pondered on the flight home but there were too many distractions, on the drive home---it was just me and my thoughts.


I should start by defining a miracle. To me, it's something that is out of the ordinary for me. A kidney transplant, miraculous, though to the transplant team it is rather ho hum since they may do it on a daily basis. The technology to do the transplant, miraculous, though to the nurses all the beeps, lines, and numbers are mundane daily occurrences. Oh, then there's the medicine that my dad is now taking and the ones he will continue to take for the rest of his life, they are miraculous in that they allow someone's kidney to be accepted by someone else and then allow that person to live a normal life; I imagine the pharmacists see all the medication as something that needs to be explained in terms the rest of us mere mortals will understand. 


All of this miraculous-ness happened because God willed it to be thus, they are His miracles. Sure humans came up with the process for transplanting a kidney, the technology to keep tabs on the recipient, the chemical equations/reactions to make the drugs but I firmly believe that were it not for God's will, none of this would be possible. 


There were so many people involved in the transplant, more than I ever imagined. Three doctors, a bevy of nurses, a dietitian, three pharmacists, and a co-ordinator named Nancy who is an angel on earth. Oh, and a hospital that is fabulous: Legacy Good Samaritan.



Hospital chapel.

I can't say enough about this place, so I won't even try. Just know that from my family's perspective, we love it.

My drive home also gave me time to think about my sisters and how much alike we are, which can be good and then again, not so good. Because we're cut from the same piece of cloth, some head butting is to be expected. In the end though, it always works out. There is nothing better than having a sister (Brother wasn't able to join us, he'd recently had some knee surgery which made traveling a bit dicey). 

The next three weeks will be filled with clinic visits for blood work and doctor visits to make sure all is progressing as it should. Right now, everything looks great, my prayer is that it will continue to go just as smoothly.

Thank you all for your prayers and support, I've been uplifted by each and every one of them.


2 comments:

  1. So glad it's going well. We've been thinking about you all week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you liz. if any family would understand the nuances of a transplant, your family would.

      Delete