Pages

4.09.2012

This and That

There is a myriad of disjointed thoughts going on in my head with no clear way of organizing them. Rather than try to force the impossible, I'll post them as they come. What can I say, I'm living on the edge.

  • Hank and I flew to Salt Lake to see Larry and Rocket Man for Easter. We were suppose to head north on Thursday night but our flight on American out of DFW was cancelled due to Tuesday's fiasco of a weather event. Late Wednesday night, as in 10:45 p.m. late, I got an automated call with the not so good news. Miss Auto Voice told me to call 1.800. blah blah blah in the morning due to the high volume of calls to reschedule the flight. Uh, nope. I was not going to wait. Long story short I was up until two in the morning getting a new flight that took us through Houston. Interesting airport that Bush Intercontinental is, not at all what I was expecting.
  • Easter was yesterday. Many of my blogging friends did the right thing and posted their thoughts and feelings about this rather miraculous event. I, sadly failed to do the right thing. So I'll tell you now that I'm forever grateful for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and all that his death makes possible and brings into my life.
  • We brought back a little something with us, Daughter and Rocket Man! We had a two and a half hour rain delay at DFW, rah, which made all of us a lot more tired and hungry.
  • 
  • Rocket Man can charm anyone with his smile. Our flight attendant was very kind and helped entertain him while we waited on the plane to be cleared for take off. She even took him to meet the captain.


Our reason for bringing Daughter and Rocket Man back is a somewhat sad one. Hank's aunt Claudia passed away on Friday. As we were sitting at the airport he got a call from his dad telling us the news, a call which we expected would come while we were in Utah. Claudia had been suffering from Alzheimer's for the past fifteen years, Friday she found peace and rest. 

Claudia was my age, fifty four, when she was diagnosed with this insipid disease. Oh, what a horrible, horrible disease it is. So much is robbed from not only the person who is suffering but also their family. I can't even begin to comprehend the how her children and husband have felt all these years. I have the utmost respect for the way they have dealt with the ravages of the disease.

Claudia's husband, Hank's mom's brother, cared for her all these years, how I admire him for this. I don't think I could have done it. How arduous a task to care for one you love so deeply and yet know that no matter what you do, they are never going to get well. As I was talking to a co-worker about Claudia's passing she mentioned that Nancy Reagan had written a book about the last years of President Regan's life with Alzheimer's, The Long Goodbye. It is a most appropriate title.

Claudia's death has brought a flood a memories. Most of them, no all of them, involve her helping someone else. That was Claudia, the epitome of someone striving to live a Christ-like life. Though her mind has been gone for several years and her physical beauty left her long ago, her spirit continued to live inside her but is now at long last free from its physical confinement, for this I am glad.

4 comments:

  1. Can't get over how CUTE Rocketman is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an Easter adventure! I think Claudia's husband is one of those people who makes what could be an ugly world beautiful. I hope her funeral will be an enjoyable rememberance for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopped by to say hi!
    You're back in Texas?

    ReplyDelete