Pages

4.05.2012

Spring Has Sprung

Spring has officially arrived to My Little Corner of Texas. Tuesday night's nightmarish onslaught of tornadoes, lightening, thunder, and any other mayhem you can think of made it official. We've had rain, lots of it, thankfully, but so far all the nastiness had missed us. Tuesday was a weather junkie's dream and my nightmare.


I'd actually been oblivious to the weather until Daughter called me in the middle of my work day. This was a bit disconcerting since she NEVER calls me during the workday, she knows I can't talk while trying to teach my little darlin's. I did a quick I-can't-talk-to-you-text to which she responded saying that Son-in-law had told her that tornadoes were all over Big D and possibly headed our direction.


Oh.


As I left work I could tell from the sauna-ish feel to the air and the darkness of the clouds that it was going to be a wild ride. Anyone with any sense would head home and stay there. I didn't have sense, I had to make a quick trip to the Big Town so off I went, watching the clouds and hoping they'd hold out until I got home. Driving back things started to get a bit dicey. As I listened to the radio the weather guy was warning us that tornadoes had been spotted at points to the west...I was going west. Yikes!


Yes, I did the unthinkable and shot pics with the iPhone as I drove. Please kids, don't do this at home. Bad V, bad, bad, bad V. 

I've often ridiculed the person who's photos or videos make it onto CNN or the evening news, wondering to myself: why the heck don't you seek shelter??? I understand now, it's mesmerizing. 





Once firmly and safely in the comfort of my home, I breathed a sigh of relief, I'd made it home before the rain began; it was going to be a doozie. No sooner had I exhaled that sigh than I inhaled again and held my breath, no power. Great.

Just before the lights went out I had the feeling that I should gather flashlights, radio and the like just in case. Fearing that the lights would be out for a while, and fearing I'd run short on batteries, I pulled out another Dudie heirloom, an oil lamp.  We have five of them, that woman was prepared.


Wonderful things these oil lamps, no worry about batteries going south. I do need to find lamp oil, in case these ever run out, though I doubt that will happen anytime soon. The oil in these lamps has been in there for, well, forever it seems.

Ever wonder just how much light one of these gives off, more than I ever imagined.


It was about as much, if not more, than what the battery operated lantern I had in the den.


As I was gathering lighting paraphernalia, the storm was raging outside. With nothing else to do, no power no Internet, I got out the Canon and began shooting...from the safety of the house of course.


I've learned something after twenty eight years of living in the midst of what some call 'tornado alley', as long as the trees are bowing in obedience to the winds you're okay. When they start doing the twist, um, it's time to find that small windowless room in the center of the house. I've also learned, don't underestimate the power of straight line winds. 

What did I do after taking numerous pictures? The only thing I could listened to the radio and kept this aging friend from going completely and totally bonkers.





6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Christel, I just found your blog. WOW I'm really impressed by your pictures! We never get that kind of weather here...that must be so scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christel! I see from reading your blog you're from France, bienvenue...I don't think I spelled that correctly! Texas weather is exciting to say the least, keeps us on our toes! I hope you'll come back and visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey V! You spelled it right! Bravo! Yes I'm from France, I was born there, but I lived in Canada for a few years. I've been to Texas for a few hours... I stopped over once at Dallas on my way to Phoenix. I didn't see that much, but I loved the little I saw! You live in a great State!
    I'm so glad to meet you via our blogs and hope to hear from you soon!
    Have a great Easter week end and talk to you soon!
    Christel
    PS: Thanks for the comment on my blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say... that adventurous part of me kind of misses the weather! ...Not enough to move back- but it's almost fun as long as it stays under control. I'm glad you were prepared! I remember a storm almost exactly a year ago- where Steve and I stayed up until 2:00 in the morning, listening to the tornadoes move all around our city- but luckily none touched us.

    I'm glad you guys are safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were in my thoughts. I'm glad you were safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job capturing the whole feel of a storm in pictures!

    ReplyDelete