Pages

1.04.2012

Movie Critic...Not To Worry, I'm Not Quitting My Day Job

During Christmas and during the summer there is an onslaught of movies, this is the only time I go to the movies. It's not that I don't like movies,  I'm just very selective about what I see. There are four out right now that I'd like to see, Mission Impossible 4, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (I love Sandra Bullock), and War Horse.  Hank's asked me out on a date for the Sherlock Holmes movie, I don't think he'll want to see the Sandra Bullock movie nor MI4, he's not a big movie buff. I'd hoped he'd go with me to see War Horse but he said he was afraid the horse would die and he doesn't like movies where animals die.


Yesterday on my trip to the 'big town' I decided that a movie was in order. I chose War Horse




It was moving and beautiful. I want to visit England now more than ever, the countryside was breathtaking. The acting was excellent, human and equine. I will tell you though, that because it is set in WWI, there are some scenes that are tragic but well in keeping with the story line of a war. I would not take a child under twelve to see it. The relationship that the horse has with its different 'masters' is moving, a very well trained animal he was. If you, like Hank, are concerned that Joey, the horse, dies I'll tell you that he doesn't but there are other horses that do, don't let that keep you from seeing this wonderful movie.


Oh, you know how I'm back in the exercise saddle? I thought it would be okay to have some popcorn with my movie, tradition ya know. Well exercise karma must be keeping an eye on me because this happened 



I'd just sat down, was balancing the popcorn on my legs while I put the straw in my small drink and BAM, popcorn on the floor. All of it. My habit is to eat the popcorn during the previews, as it was, I had nothing. I was bummed. Oh well, I've read that movie popcorn isn't that good for you anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I love going to the movies! Since having kids we haven't gone too much. Sometimes I don't want to waste my money paying a babysitter AND the ridiculous prices at the theater. I'm really picky with what I choose to go and see. Most of the time I'd rather pick something up at the Redbox and watch it at home while snuggled up on the couch with a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Hank and I are more alike than I thought. I refuse to watch animal movies half the time, because for some reason they always die. We watched Black Stallion a few weeks ago and even though the horse didn't die, I still bawled like a baby :) But I'm glad you critiqued War Horse for us. Now maybe I'll see it. And BTW--Sherlock Holmes is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, I've heard that Sherlock Holmes is great, I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Warhorse was excellent. I was just glad the horse didn't start talking. I'm sick of talking animal movies. I want to go to England and visit family sites one of these days.

    BTW. Sherlock is magnificent.... and I don't exaggerate. Better than the first.

    ReplyDelete