Pages

12.25.2011

Pomegranate

I love the seasonality of fruits. I make a point of buying only what's in season from the various areas of the U.S.. I don't buy strawberries in the winter, nor peaches, nor blackberries, and as much as I love them, not even raspberries. Maybe it's just my weird taste buds but imported fruits don't taste the same to me. Winter means lots of citrus fruits...nothing better than a Texas Ruby Red grapefruit...., apples...mmmm, those Honeycrisps!...pears, and pomegranates. 


Eating pomegranates takes a bit of work, the taste though, in my opinion, is well worth it. There may be easier ways to skin a pom but here's how I do it.


Slice it in half. Nope, I didn't cut myself in the process, though that's not out of the realm of possibility.



I then cut it in half again.


Now comes the part that could potentially be messy. I highly recommend that you not wear your white silk blouse when you do this...nor should you do this on your fine linen tablecloth, the stains don't come out, I speak from experience.

After you've quartered the pom, bend the quarter you're working with back so it exposes the kernels of the pom.


Using your fingers, separate the kernels from the white pithy membrane. I don't care for it, it's very bitter to my taste buds. 

It should look like this when you finish. I leave the undesirable kernels behind, they aren't as red and plump as they should be.


Move on to the remaining sections doing the same as above. When you finish you'll have a bowl full of ruby red, tart and sweet, juicy goodness. Yum.


Once peeled I use a spoon to eat the pom, however, I've heard you can add the kernels to salads. Daughter says that a friend of hers made some Jell-O and put the pomegranate kernels in it, not sure what flavor of Jell-O, though. I'm going to give both of these suggestions a try.

If you've never eaten a pomegranate, I highly recommend them. You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I have found that if you separate them under cold water (just in a bowl) that the juice doesn't get everywhere, and the white part floats, so it separates a little easier. This is our favorite pomegranate recipe.

    6 oz. pkg. raspberry jello
    2 c boiling water
    1 pkg. strawberries or raspberries
    2 c. diced apples
    1 can crushed pineapple(don't drain)
    2 to 3 bananas
    2 large pomegranates

    Add all together; pour into a 9x13 inch pan and set until firm. Mix 3 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup sour cream and 8 ounces Cool whip. Whip together and pour over firm jello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jill, thank you! I'll have to give it a try. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete