Pages

11.16.2011

Cooking With Pumpkin

When Daughter was seven, I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Cookies I completely fell in love with. It was tasty, easy, and one batch made a boat load of cookies. I'd been craving these for a while but the timing wasn't right. I don't know, call me weird but pumpkin-y foods are meant to be eaten during the fall/winter time of the year.


Well, the time is here and I've made my first batch of these yummy treats and I'm poised to make another batch this weekend. 


Lemme share this easy, tasty, one-batch-makes-a-boat-load-of-cookies recipe.


The cast of characters



M.I.A. was the nutmeg...I didn't realize I was out of it.

The first step is to combine the shortening with the sugar. I like using these pre-measured blocks, I don't cook with shortening very often and it goes rancid before I use all of it.



Add the eggs and pumpkin.




Mix well and add the vanilla.


In a separate bowl, sift and combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and the forgotten nutmeg.



Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture.


I highly recommend using  a wooden spoon for this. I had flour all over the place when I started with the mixer...sheesh!



Scoop the dough onto a greased cookie sheet; these cookies don't spread so you can put them fairly close together.



Bake. Cool. Prepare the frosting.

For the frosting you'll need cream cheese, butter or margarine, vanilla, and powdered sugar.

Cream all the ingredients.



Remember I told you this recipe made a boat load of cookies? Have a look.



Frost the cookies when completely cooled.


Hope you give these a try, you won't be disappointed.

Here's the recipe

1 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
  1. 1. 
    Cream the shortening and the sugar together.
  2. 2. 
    Beat in the eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla.
  3. 3. 
    Sift the dry ingredients together, add to the mixture, then mix well.
  4. 4. 
    Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400° F (205° C) for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Frost when cool.
Frosting
1 package (3 ounces/85 g) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 box (1 pound/.45 kg) powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. 1. 
    Mix all the ingredients together until creamy.
  2. 2. 
    Frost pumpkin cookies. If desired, decorate cookies.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I was going to ask you for this recipe. I love that you can taste the pumpkin, but it's not an overpowering flavor in the cookies. Plus, cream cheese frosting? Are you kidding me? What's not to love?! -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I wish I lived next door so I could ask for one. I like am a fan of the fall pumpkin/sugar concoctions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez - this time "like" stayed in there. Although I guess it makes sense in a valley girl sort of way. My comment editing skills are in need of improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I still lived in Gilmer, I would come over and have a few! Thanks for sharing...Miss talking S. Spears

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you put this up - I wanted to ask for the recipe the other night but thought maybe it was a family secret. Yep, I'm making these tonight...

    ReplyDelete