Pages

11.11.2011

11/11/11

Today's day is significant for more than the oddity of the same number for the month, day, and year. It's Veteran's Day. I like this day, it reminds me of how very blessed I am to live in this great nation. I'm reminded also of the many who've sacrificed so much so that we can all have the freedoms that we do.


Yesterday, at HHS we had a Veteran's Day program. Why yesterday and not today? El Jefe feels that holding our program the day before gives the veterans an opportunity to attend any of the other programs that are held throughout our area, nice guy to do so. 


This year's program was a little different for me. Different because as Student Council advisors Art Teacher and I were in charge of the whole enchilada. To say I was a little stressed would be an understatement. The Veteran's Day program is a big deal. Veteran's are invited, music has to be in place, a guest speaker needs to be found, and a luncheon has to be prepared for the Veteran's that attend. 


I'd like to say that it all went off without a hitch but that would be a lie. Although the hitches were minute, and with the exception of one, no one knew about them except Art Teacher and me. We've received lots of kudos so I shouldn't worry about those little hitches...but you know me and having to have things perfect. The Veteran's enjoyed the program and the meal, which in the end is really all that matters.


El Jefe helped out by finding the guest speaker, State Representative Bryan Hughes. How he managed this I don't know but I'm glad he did, it was one less thing for me to stress over. Whew. The StuCo officers were impressed having a political figure come be a part of the program and were anxious to have a photo op with him.



This group of kiddos continue to impress me. They did a fabulous job of delivering the program, helping readily when asked, and just being all around wonderful. 

A highlight of the program is a multimedia presentation honoring the veterans. The young man dressed in black on the front row put it together. He told me that his goal was to make people cry when they watched it. All I can say is that I need to remember to take Kleenex to these things.

May I suggest that you pause a moment and give thanks for the veterans. You may not personally know one but we've all benefited from their sacrifices. 

3 comments:

  1. What a great opportunity for the students. I'm glad to know their are students out there who are being taught to appreciate the value and the price of living in a great nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn - I put a "their" where there should have been a "there." Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate when you catch your grammar mistakes after you hit publish?

    ReplyDelete