Pages

10.10.2011

Time Lapse

When I was in grade school, I lived for the days when we got to watch movies (kids still do, some things never change). Back in my day, you know, back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, our movies where on reels that had to be threaded through the projector. If the teacher was lucky, she got one of the self-theading ones, otherwise she would manually maneuver the film through each sprocket as we patiently, and quietly I might add, waited with bated breath for the special treat of watching a movie. It didn't matter that it was educational, it was a movie! 






My favorite movies were the science ones, especially the ones where time lapse photography was used. Even now, as I think about it, I can still see that green bean going from seed to full blown plant in thirty seconds and hear the click, click, rat-tat-tat of the projector. 


As an homage to those days I decided to document something I happened upon last Tuesday. I was out in the yard when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw what I thought was a huge pile of acorns. I turned and looked more closely and saw that it was a mass of mushrooms growing around a stump. At that very moment, I decided that I must photograph it each day so I could see how long it took for the clump of mushrooms to reach its zenith.


Day one, Tuesday, October 4




Day two, Wednesday, October 5



Day three, Friday, October 7 (I didn't get home until after dark on Thursday, ergo, no pics)




I love the last two shots, it looks as if the wind has caught their skirts and we see their petticoats.

Okay, I also missed yesterday. I was a bit tied up NCIS-ing  as well as chaperoning/catering a youth dance at the church. 

But, I did take pictures today. I must add a warning, if you're squeamish, don't look cause it ain't pretty...and I didn't even include the shot that had maggots in it. And, it's a good thing you can't smell through a computer, the smell was a bit ripe. TMI?

Day four, Sunday, October 9



Well, there you have it, my homage to time lapse photography. Isn't nature fascinating? 

3 comments:

  1. I love the close-ups of the mushrooms. I'd hang those on a wall. Fun post!

    I can't figure out how to post as myself, but it's jessicap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Liz and JessicaP. It was fun watching the change from day to day. I wonder, how much would a time lapse camera cost? C:

    ReplyDelete