Pages

10.15.2011

This Was Going to Be An Ode, But I Don't Know How to Write One

The 'c' word. 

Six letters in length. 

Letters that when strung together will take you on an emotional roller coaster ride, with you in the front car. I don't like roller coasters.

My Sweet Friend found out this past week that she has cancer. I'm numb. I can only imagine how her family is feeling. Although, her family is strong and courage. As is she. 

Sweet Friend hadn't been feeling well for a little while. As we all tend to do, she chalked it up to over working herself, not resting enough, blah, blah, blah. Thing is, Sweet Friend tends to be rather stubborn about seeing the doctor, she's a nurse and, well, they say doctors and nurses make the worst patients. I doubt though that having gone to the doctor any sooner would have made a difference.

Sweet Friend is very special to me, though she doesn't know it because I'm bad about telling people how I feel about them. I get all emotional when I get mushy, what can I say. I know, I need to change. We all like to know that we matter to others. 

When I was a new transplant to Texas, SF took me under her wing and helped me understand all the 'fixin' to's' and 'y'all's'. She taught me how to navigate the back roads so I wouldn't end up going in circles. She was my sounding board. She was my mothering mentor. I was a new mother, far away from my mother, totally clueless on what to do with a six week old little girl. She knew what to do, she had five. 

We worked together Sweet Friend and I. She was the school nurse, still is, at my old employ. SF's office was my island of calm in a sea of chaos. When I made the decision to leave and go to HHS, SF was one of the reasons I hesitated to leave, I knew I would miss her wisdom, her calming voice of reason.

It is early yet in the process that is treating cancer. SF's daughter has been very kind to keep my updated on the ins and outs of what's happening. Next week the oncologist will let them know what stage the cancer is in, then a treatment plan will begin. I'm praying and hoping for the best, as are all those that know and love Sweet Friend. 

If the love and support of others were enough to cure cancer, Sweet Friend would already be in remission. I know she has a battery of people in her corner praying and fasting for her, some that don't even know her personally. One of my student's asked on Friday if I was going to go watch the football team. I said I wasn't, which disappointed him. He then asked why, I told him that I was going to try and go visit my friend who had just found out she had cancer. He said he was sorry to hear that and then said the sweetest thing, he said, "Señora, I will pray for her."

I will pray for my Sweet Friend and trust in Lord, for in the end He is the one who knows the outcome of everything. 

If you are one that believes in the power of prayer, would you also pray for my Sweet Friend and her family? 


3 comments:

  1. I read this while on the treadmill tonight...dumb move. Crying while running while in public is hard to explain to those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am so sad to hear this news. Goes to show that C doesn't care how healthy a lifestyle you lead, doesn't respect if you are a kind or generous person, nor does it show any mercy. I love this lady and will pray fervently for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll put her in my prayers for sure.

    ReplyDelete