Pages

10.12.2011

Homework

Back in August, El Jefe gave the faculty and staff a homework assignment. We had to read a book. 


I'm not a huge fan of reading. Oh I read, don't get me wrong, I read my scriptures without fail. I read blogs. I read the news online. I read the catalogs I get. I just don't get too excited about reading books. 


Let me share a couple of book incidences with you.


I have The Helpsitting on my coffee table, it's been there since August. Art Teacher highly recommended it, as have myriad of others. I bought it to read while I was in Utah with Rocket Man. Ah, yeah, as if I would take time away from Rocket Man to read a book. Honestly, what was I thinking! It's been almost two months since I got home and I've yet to even read the first page. I've read the back of it, I got the paperback, does that count? 


Back in August, (what is it with books and August?) I borrowed The Hunger Games from Crafty Friend. She highly recommended it, as did Daughter. I returned the book to her when we Husband and I invited ourselves over to her house for steak...never having opened it to the first chapter. I read the inside flap, does that count?


As you can see, reading a book for a homework assignment would not be high on my list of things to get done. However, I am happy to report that I did read El Jefe's assigned book. 


It helped that it was only this thick



I was able to read it over two days time during my lunch.

It also helped that the topic was one that I'd really already read about, that and the fact that there was very little writing on each page. OH. MY. GOODNESS!!! I'm sounding like my students!!!! 

I. Must. Retire. Soon!!

Back to the book.

The topic of the book is going the extra bit to accomplish what might seem like the impossible, or giving just that much more to go from mediocre to great. 

The author begins by saying that water boils at 212 degrees, hence the title of the book, that with boiling water comes steam, with steam you can power a train. He goes on to give other examples of how giving just that much more can result in something more than mediocrity. 

As I read this little book, I was reminded of having read of this same concept in an even greater book. Though 212 is not the wording, the concept is the same. The wording in the even greater book is as follows. 
Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
The book I found this in is The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

It is so true that by small, what sometimes seem almost insignificant, means great things are brought about. I've seen this over and over in my life, temporally and spiritually.

After reading 212, I was sharing with my students this concept and how they could apply it to their lives, to which one very brilliant student, and I don't mean that sarcastically he really is brilliant, replied. 'ah, Mac 'n Cheese will still cook at 211'. 

I got what he was saying. Why bother going the extra degree when mediocre is good enough. Unfortunately, that is the state of many of my students and many in our society. 

And me and books. I guess, I need to stretch the extra foot and get that book off the coffee table and read something longer than a sound bite.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to read The Help already! You won't be sorry. Trust me. -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to be 213 in so many things...but instead I end up being 211 in a lot of things. I've just got to choose what deserves 213 I guess. - jessicaP

    ReplyDelete