Pages

8.18.2011

Written and Done

Today is the penultimate day of in-service. Not a bad day as in-service days go. 


We had the morning to work in our rooms, have to have things just so before the masses descend on us tonight--it's Meet the Teacher night, and we all know how crowded those can be. At 11:15 El Jefe told us to head-em-up-and-move-em-out, a local church has established the tradition of feeding the teachers before school begins, a lovely gesture I might add, he didn't want us being late for the feasting. They always have the yummiest desserts, just thinking about them has me regretting my decision to pass on attending the feast this year.


How come I didn't go? I've been busy trying to get things lined out so I can leave for two weeks right at the beginning of the school year--grandbaby on the way, ya know--I was so wrapped up in what I was doing I didn't want to lose momentum. After the feast we are to go home, or wherever, and then go back for MTT at 5:00.


So here I sit, at home, thinking. Thinking about how I don't really want to go back to work this year--grandbaby on the way, ya know. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the text or call that says 'Okay, it's time to get your tail up here!'


I'm also thinking about how much longer I'm going to go through the end of August routine, something I've pondered more this year than ever. Each year I tell myself to take it one year at a time but I've come to the conclusion that if I keep telling myself that, I'll never make a decision on when I'll stop teaching. I'm pretty good a convincing myself to do something just one more time. Hmmm, is that a good thing?


Husband said that he once read that a goal unwritten is only a wish. I'm taking my wish to retire to the next level. I'm writing it down, here, on this blog for all to read and hold me accountable. I'm going to retire in three years, this year being year one. At the end of the 2014 school year I'll have taught twenty years. Wow, that's a stinkin' long time. But, it's also a nice even, round number. I like even and round. Even and round means there are no remainders.


Alright, I've written the goal, now I need to do it.


Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited you have a date, but I have to admit, it will be weird when you stop teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like my mom!! She says the same thing at the end of every year, but I don't think she's ever written it down ;)

    ReplyDelete