Pages

8.22.2011

Salvador Dalí Moments

Throughout my life there have been times when I feel like Dalí's painting The Persistence of Memory.


You know the feeling, you're in the moment but then you're not. 


Sunday was one of those moments. 


I'm officially a grandmother, no more practice runs, no more quibbling about what I'll be called, the day of reckoning has arrived. Daughter gave birth to the most perfect baby boy at 6:47 a.m. MDT Sunday. It's real but then it's not.


As I waited at DFW for my connecting flight, I kept telling myself this is not a dream, your daughter is really in labor, this is not a dream, repeat, this is not a dream.


I drove from Salt Lake's airport in a dreamlike stupor, thinking, pondering about how surreal it all seemed. I was in the moment but then again it was as if this was someone else's life. I had a conversation with myself, that went like this: 


Soon you'll be holding your new grandson. Are you ready for this? Ah, yes, no, yes, maybe. Oh, I don't know, this is all too weird. My child is going to have a baby. Ahhhh!


I really did say, Ahhhh. It brought me back to reality, out of my Salvador Dalí stupor, though it didn't last long, my touch with reality.


As soon as I walked into Daughter's hospital it all felt like I was in a dream moving in slow motion. I hugged Daughter and stared at Son-in-law as he held the child my child had birthed six hours earlier. So out of body, so weird.


Watching Daughter and Son-in-law tend to their beautiful son, I marveled at their tenderness and the instant love they have developed for him, which is as it should be. I never doubted their ability to be good parents, they are going to be wonderful parents, I just marvel at how instant that bond developed. 


As surreal as this all seems, I know that the life Daughter and SNL created is a miracle from our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful to Him for this great gift he's given to our family.


And now,  the first of what will through the years be many pictures of my first grandchild.




I think he's kinda cute, yes I am biased I am his grandmother after all. 

9 comments:

  1. You made me cry. Beautiful baby indeed. Congratulations all around. So, what did you decide to be called by this sweet boy? -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, he is so precious! I am so happy for you and your family. And yes...please do tell what you and the Hubby are going to use as grandparent names?? :-)

    Enjoy your time with that special grandbaby of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. he is so perfect. i am so glad that you were able to get there. as a daughter, i remember what i felt like when my mom arrived from the airport from her dfw flight to japan... it was almost surreal seeing my mom get there to meet me and my son! enjoy this precious time with them.. i know how precious it is, as i don't live near my mom either. he is sooo adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's very cute! Congrats! What a great weekend for a birthday, our little girl came on Saturday. What will he call you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful baby boy! Congrats! What an exciting time for you and for Larry! I can't wait to see more pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet baby! He is absolutely perfect. You must be beaming with pride!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for putting it into words. It is indeed surreal - yet wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Anonymous...you made me cry too! Congratulations to you all, he is a precious little miracle!

    ReplyDelete