Pages

8.08.2011

Home Grown


Growing up in Central California Coast spoiled me. I grew up with fresh produce year round, it seemes as if we always had fresh fruits and veggies in the house. I loved that. 

In My Little Corner of Texas, summer is the best time for fresh, local produce; though this year has been a tough one, the heat has made it almost impossible to grow anything. 

There is a local peach orchard that has fresh peaches and other assorted fresh produce. I look forward to summers just so I can go to Efurd's and drink in the ambiance and buy something locally grown.

With it's wooden floor, old timey refrigerator, and country setting, Efurd's has a Mayberry feel, I love this place. 



The Lady Creams are my favorite type of pea, I still want to call them beans but I'm corrected each time I do. I like that I can buy they already shelled, I'm too lazy to shell my own.




Along with the fresh produce there is myriad of preserves and salsas, ciders and many other ways to use fruits and veggies in a canned form.



I haven't tried the FROG jam but it does sound interesting, don't you think?

Unique things abound, like this:


Not sure how I feel about Dr. Pepper flavored frosting. What kind of cake would you use it on, 7up?

If it weren't so blasted hot I'd venture back up to buy some FROG jam...ahhh, what the heck, forget the heat, I'm going back up there and buy some of it. I'll let you know how it tastes.

5 comments:

  1. That is what I am loving about California... all the fresh fruit stands!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me you did buy the Dr. Pepper frosting!!!! I could go on a yellow cake, or a chocolate cake! It would be lovely, I bet. Also, I want some peaches from home. The ones here aren't sweet enough. Or maybe I just don't know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you had their homemade ice cream? To. Die.
    -rp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone needs to wish Miss V a Happy Birthday. She still looks pretty young to me. I WILL NOT SHARE HER AGE, BUT...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try the ice cream when I go back up later this week. As to my age, well, let's just say that if I were a piece of furniture, or decorating style, I'd be referred to as Mid-century Modern. I hear this era is all the rage now :)!

    ReplyDelete