Pages

6.12.2011

Part Duex

It's that time of the year. I'm not referring to the extend hot flash Mother Nature has inflicted on my Little Corner of Texas.  I'm talking about the time of year that brings out a gaggle of girls and women to the event known in the LDS church as Girls' Camp.


It was hot.  Oh, so hot.  Did I mention it was hot?  


Once again I was fortunate enough to be asked to be the camp photographer. Loved it. I was also asked to do a presentation to the girls about self image. I found that to be rather ironic since having a good self image is something that I struggled with for years, I'm finally at a point in my life where I'm okay with who I am, warts and all.  


That was this year's camp theme, helping the girls to realize that they are of great worth, to believe that they are daughters of a God that knows who they are by name, that He loves them and that He wants them to love themselves despite the flaws we all have.


I know there were girls that were impacted greatly by the theme.  I had several come and tell me that they can finally begin to accept themselves for who they are.  There was one precious, precious twelve year old who told me that she can now see beyond the label she had given herself of 'ugly'. It brought tears to my eyes that this beautiful girl thought of herself us ugly.  



There is a soap box I could climb right about now. A soap box about the media and the images they put out there as 'perfect' and what all women should aspire to but I won't. I'm tired. I spent two days in one hundred degree weather wishing there was an outdoor air conditioner thermostat I could lower to help Mother Nature out with her hot flashes.

I will never say that I enjoyed Girls' Camp. Sorry ladies. I know there are those of you that have a fascination with sleeping in tents and sleeping bags. Not me. Not even if it were in the cool of the Rocky Mountains or Sierra Nevadas. Give me a Marriott, or, as another camp leader prefers...one who thinks as I do...a Hilton and I will be the happiest camper around. I will say that I enjoyed getting to know these beautiful young women and helping them to see their inner beauty and accept their outer beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment