Pages

4.04.2011

Conference

Twice a year, as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often referred to as Mormons, we have the opportunity to either attend, listen to, or watch on TV or via the Internet, General Conference. 


General Conference is an events of sorts.  It's a time when leaders of the church provide us with words of wisdom, counsel, and inspiration.  I love it.  I'm always uplifted after watching it.


It has become somewhat of a tradition to have the in-laws over to our house between the morning and afternoon session for lunch.  Usually I fix roast with potatoes and carrots.  This weekend I was forced to break with tradition; by the time I got to the grocery store last night, they were all out of chuck roast.  


That's what I get for waiting until 6:00 to do the grocery shopping.  Our local grocery store runs out of such things as chuck roast if you don't get there early in the morning.  


That's what happens when you live in a spot on the map of a town.


It was time for plan 'B'.


Stew.  

I figure stew is like roast except you serve it in bowl rather than plates.  I mean, it has the carrots, potatoes, onions, meat, and it has the gravy built in, right?

Also on the menu,


Rolls.


Pig Cake.


Pig Cake?  What's Pig Cake?  


Yummy, that's what.  I found the recipe on Pioneer Woman, she has some rather tempting eats and treats.  Go here for her always clever, witty, and thorough explanation.  You won't regret it.


Of the speakers at conference, this was one of the ones I found most uplifting.



2 comments:

  1. Wasn't it great?! Totally inspiring! Elder Pratt gave a story about Rob's great grandparents in the Sunday afternoon session (Whetten tithing story). Pratt is Jo Ann's cousin.
    I am going to have to give that pig cake a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conference was great this year. I'm so grateful for modern technology so I can pause and rewind it when I miss parts because my kids are running wild and screaming/screeching at the top of their lungs. I also could have listened to Elder Scott talk about his wife all day. I love how much he loves and adores her still.

    ReplyDelete