Pages

4.30.2011

Anglophile

When Prince Charles and Lady Diana wed, I was one of the crazies that got up at the unruly hour of 2:00 a.m. to watch the wedding.  I was in my last few weeks of college life, newly engaged, and, along with my roommates, hanging on every moment of that day.


Fast forward thirty years.  I missed it.  I missed the wedding of the century.  


I'd completely forgotten about the wedding when I went to bed Thursday night.  I didn't remember that yesterday was the big day for Prince William and Catherine until I turned the television on while I was making the bed at 5:30 in the morning. Expecting to see out local morning news gang, I was somewhat befuddled, I love that word, when I heard the angelic voices of the choir at the wedding.  It was then that I remember, The Wedding.


Aaahhhh, I'd missed it!


When Husband came into the room and saw what was on, he rolled his eyes and said, 'I agree with L., what's the big deal?'


What's the big deal??  What's the big deal??  Well, frankly if you have to ask, you'd never understand 'what's the big deal'.


I did get to see live the recessional and I caught, through quick dashes of in and out of the bedroom while I finished getting ready, William and Kate riding off in the landau.  


Thanks to the Internet, I did watch a replay of rest of the wedding throughout the day.  At lunch I watch the princess walking up the aisle and the impish grin on her future brother-in-law's face as he saw her before the groom did, just like a younger sibling who has a leg up on the older one!  When I came home I watched other highlights that made that day memorable for so many.  Then, last night, TLC had a replay of the wedding, I fell asleep as I was watching it.  I suppose it's just as well I didn't get up at 2:00 a.m., I never would have made it at work.


Three observations.


1.  I want, no need, to go see Westminster Abby in person.  


2.  When I saw Princess Catherine's dress for the first time, it reminded me of someone else's dress.  See if you agree.




I know I'm not the first to make this observation.  I think both dresses were gorgeous.

3.  Grace Kelly was also a 'commoner' marrying royalty.


Like, Kate Middleton, Grace Kelly is beautiful.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a fairy tale wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment