Pages

2.27.2011

Feelin' the Love

Last week the honor society at HHS showed their appreciation to my fellow coworkers and me.  Teachers were honored by the members of the honor society through gifts, notes, an original rap and in my case, an invitation to dinner.

Whaaat?  V, you went out to dinner with some of your students?  Aren't you aware of the things that are going on around you with regard to the teacher/student relationship?  Are you nuts?  Are the lights on but nobody home?

Calm down, I didn't say I accepted the dinner invitation. 

Whaaat?  How could you hurt those poor kids' feelings like that? 

Hey, what can I say, I'm cold and callous.  Nah, not really.  I didn't accept their invitation for two reasons.

Reason #1:  I'm aware of how whacked out some teachers are with their students.

Reason #2:  I didn't know they were being serious.

In seventeen years of teaching I've received many different teacher appreciation cards and gifts, all of which I treasured immensely.  I'd never, however, been invited to dinner.  I thought these two students were simply kidding around, throwing me off track, until the final day of Teacher Appreciation Week when they would come in with a sweet little trinket.  I felt absolutely horrible when I realized that they were sincere in their invitation. 

About a week and a half ago Carlito and Esteban told me that they'd selected me as their teacher for TAW and that they were going to take me out to dinner.  They said this with a big smile on their face.  A smile I'd seen all too often when they were yanking someone's chain.  Then last week they asked me a couple of different times if I liked grilled cheese sandwiches and biscuits and gravy because instead of taking me out to eat they were going to cook for me and grilled cheese and biscuits and gravy was their entire culinary repertoire.  Said once again with that big smile I'd seen all too often when they were yanking someone's chain.

On Wednesday, Carlito asked if I liked spaghetti.  I said I did and left it at that.  On Thursday, a day when Carlito had been at a golf meet and Estaban was playing in a baseball tournament, Carlito comes in to the room, at the end of the day, and says: 

Senora, are you ready to go? 

Umm, go where?

To my house.

Uhh, to your house?  For what?

To eat dinner.

To eat dinner?!

Ah, yeah.  I told you we were going to fix you dinner.  I fixed a big pot of spaghetti.

Oh.  Well, you never told me when we were going to go to dinner.  And, I didn't think you were being serious.

With a crestfallen look he said.  No, we were being serious.  And he left.

I felt awful. 

Friday morning, before the school day began, Cartlito walked into my room carrying a green bag.  Ah ha!  I thought, I don't feel bad now, they were just yanking my chain and he's come in with my TAW gift.

Wanna see what I got?


Teacher appreciation 005

I felt smaller than a quark, lower than a snake's belly, wishing the ground would open up and swallow me whole.

Given the climate that we have today regarding some teachers and their students, had I known they were being serious I would have made suggestions on how we could have gone to dinner and still maintained proper teacher/student decorum.

I must say that Carlito and Esteban gave me the most unique TAW gift I've ever received.

Teacher appreciation 002

Thanks guys.

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! How nice of them. You'll have to bring them something back from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! You must have made a wonderful impact on them for them to invite you to dinner (and mean it!). The world needs more teachers like you.

    ReplyDelete