Pages

2.07.2011

Alfred In The Making

When I was a junior in high school, I had an English teacher that was hip, cool, and always thought outside the box.  He used Alfred Hitchcock movies to illustrate the parts of a short story.  We watched Vertigo, The Birds, Psycho, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window and others in class, dissected them and then had some sort of writing assignment.  I loved this teacher.


My senior year I took another class from this same teacher, it was a film making class.  We did almost the same things as the junior English class, except we didn't watch Alfred.  Instead, we had to write a script and then film it.  Oh, it was so fun to be a budding Alfred.  


I've borrowed the idea of creating a movie to show the understanding of a concept with my Spanish 3 classes.  They're enjoying this assignment more than you can imagine.  It's interesting to see how their minds work.  


There's a definite difference between what the guys do over what the girls do.  Guys want to beat up, blow up or otherwise inflict pain.  The girls, not so much.  




Though it's what the guys want to do, it's not what they get to do.  The rules of the game are that they can't use, firearms, alcohol or inflict pain on anything or anyone to illustrate their point.  Nor can they blow anything up.  Some of them were seriously bummed out when they were told this.  


Not that I care, they need to realize that life is not World of Warcraft nor Call of Duty.  


They're having to think outside their box, which is a good thing.




It's always entertaining to see their productions.  Sundance has nothing on them.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the movie The Birds when I was a junior in high school and it terrified me like no other movie ever had (I'm still not quite sure why), then the summer between my junior and senior year my dad and I took a road trip and stopped in Bodega Bay, CA. I was frightened all over again. The place made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amy, The Birds is the freakiest Hitchcock movie. Every time I watch it and then see birds I freak out. I read the Tippy Hedren had to have the birds (either real or fake would be creepy) tied to her wardrobe in the attack scenes.

    My favorite Hitchcock is a toss up between Rear Window and To Catch a Thief. Or maybe The Man Who Knew Too Much. I don't know, there are too many good ones. If I'm feeling really brave, I'll watch The Birds while I am doing something else. I just can't pass up a good Hitchcock film.

    ReplyDelete