Pages

1.10.2011

Letting the Cat Out

William Shakespeare wrote 'that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'.  So does the same apply to other nouns? 

I need to know.

I have to decide on a new name/identity  for myself.

Daughter and Son-in-law are having a baby.  I'm so excited but...I don't like the name grandmother.  It sounds so cold, harsh, formal.  Please don't take offense if that's what your grandchildren call you, it's not what I want to be called.

Daughter doesn't want me to be 'abuelita', Spanish for 'granny', that's what she calls my mom. 

I don't want to be called mama, that's what I call my mom.

Puhleeese don't call me mawmaw!  I may have incorporated many Texas idioms into my vernacular but mawmaw is not, nor will it ever be a part of my lexicon.  Sorry again if that's what you're called or it's what you call your granny.

I've Goggled how to say 'grandma/grandmother' in various languages.  I've narrowed my choices to Russian, babushka, Greek, yaya, or German, oma. 

I have a while yet to decide.  I'm not one to leave things till the last minute, though.  I will rest easier if I know what my new identity is going to be.

17 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Congratulations to Larry, and to YOU! I'm very excited for you. You are such a wonderful surrogate grandma to my kids. Larry's baby is very, very lucky. I can't wait for details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! Tell her we said congratulations. I am leaning towards the Italian "Nonna" myself, but I also like the German.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! i'd go with yaya. it's easy to say which means baby can say your name faster. (and if your sneaky, baby can say yours first.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I love Oma. If you are looking for a third choice, my parents are called Grammy and Papa and it's adorable any way you slice it. Even the 20+ grandkids still call them Grammy and Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR ALL OF YOU! When is Lauren due?

    About your grandmother name: Remember this will be the name you will be called by your grandchildren and their children and on down for generations to come, so you need to decide on something YOU want to be called for the rest of your life. Look at it this way, you get to give yourself a new name!

    Keep us posted on your selection and the baby updates.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about Nona, Gammie, Baba or Bubbe? Sorry (don't mean to offend, but...Babushka conjures up images of cold weather, hooded/shawled figures and vodka, Yaya reminds me of the"sisterhood" book and Oma sounds like you're about to start a yoga chant. There I said it. Can ya back me up on this Larry?

    ReplyDelete
  7. idle-writer,

    I will take all your suggestions into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my...how fortuitous that we were having this conversation the other day at school. One of the cutest names I've ever heard was a former coworker who had all boys and they called her Babe. You could rock that. Congratulations! I know you're so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still vote for Nana. We have no ties to Russia, Greece, or Germany. And if it calls you Oma, I will bust out a yoga chat. I can do that you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so wonderful!!! Congrats to you all. I love Grammy or Granny. I also really like Nona. You will be an amazing Granny no matter what they call you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound like my mom! I love the "oma" suggestion you gave. My girls call my mom "gigi" or pronouceded "geegee" and I think thats pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! We are so happy for you and your family. What an amazing blessing you will be to this grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I know you are thrilled!

    In all honesty, you can choose your name, have it all ready, become your new identity, and that sweet grandbaby will call you something else and you will love it!

    Even if it's MawMaw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grandmother seems oddly formal to me. I call my grandmothers "Ama" which is grandmother in a Chinese dialect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet that the grandkids will call you VA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was going with Grandma Nell - which seemed to work for my grandson, who is now 4. But my little granddaughter, who can say "Gamma" started one day just calling me "Beema". It was so cute. I love it! Maybe your new grand child will come up with a name for you all on their own! Just like mine did! I love being Beema!
    LynnEl in Illinois

    ReplyDelete