Pages

1.01.2011

Evolution

I've become a football junkie.  It's a hard thing to admit.

Used to, the game was merely bookends to the real deal, halftime.  I can't tell you if my high school's team was any good, I didn't go to one, not one, of my high school's football games.

So, how did I become a football junkie?
  1. I attended Brigham Young University during the early eighties.  They were good, very, very good.  If you know anything about football from back in those prehistoric times, BYU had Jim McMahon and Steve Young as quarterbacks.  They went on to quarterback the Chicago Bears and the San Francisco 49's respectively.  Then there was this Heisman Trophy winner named Ty Detmer in the mid-eighties who led BYU to a number one ranking in the nation.  Yeah, BYU was good.
  2. I married a guy From Texas.  You know about football and Texas, don't you?
  3. I worked at a high school that won a state championship in 2004 and again in 2009.  A high school that is in a minuscule town of 5,000.  Do you have any idea what it's like to live in minuscule town of 5,000 with two football state championships?  In Texas?  Become a fan or die.
  4. Husband's cousin played on the 2004 team, we loved watching Daniel play.  He was good, very, very good.
So here I am.

I now know the difference between the offensive line, the defensive line and special teams.

I know what a pitch out is, as well as a hook and ladder.  I also know what it means to blindside the quarterback.  I can tell you what it means to go third and long or first and goal.  I know when there's been pass interference, offensive or defensive.

I still don't know what the heck it means to run an option or to have 'nickle backs' or who is eligible or ineligible to receive a pass.

It's New Year's Day.  What do you do on New Year's Day?

Watch football.  College football, my preference.

This year, I've discovered, college football will go on until January 10.  

Since I don't like professional football, it'll be seven months before my next fix.  I may suffer withdrawal.

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with ya! I know more about football than I ever wanted to. I love to watch the younger kids!!! GO MINI BUCKS!

    ReplyDelete