Pages

10.05.2010

Today...

while playing a vocabulary game, I had a student drop the 'f' bomb at another student.  

I.  Was.  Livid.

me: (while switching from Spanish to English and voice rising in shock) A., did you just say what I think you said?

A: (looking away from me, but not at all embarrassed nor remorseful) what?

me: (voice rising still, incredulously repeating)  did you just say what I think you said?

A:  well, um, ah,.

me: go to the office

A:  what!  I didn't even say it!

me: you might as well have.

Technically, she didn't 'say' the word, she mouthed it.  Just as bad in my book.

Arruuugh!!!  

Those of you who knew me as a teenager are probably thinking what?  V, you used to swear like a sailor!

Yes.  I did.  But now, I don't and I can't stand to hear profanity, especially from a young woman.

Is that sexist?  Probably.  I don't care.

Today...

I also heard something else. 

Something that brought me joy.

My high school in the country is adjacent to the district's elementary school.  The weather has been fabulous so I've had my window open.  

During my lunch, the elementary children were at recess.  Though I couldn't see them, I could hear them.

I heard their happy squeals, their laughter, their joy.  

To borrow a phrase from Daughter when she really likes something, this made me happy.

I needed their dulcet sounds to drown out from my mind what had happened earlier in the day.

Ah.  I shouldn't dwell on what happened with A.  

As Scarlett said, tomorrow is another day.

3 comments:

  1. Obviously, your kids don't know you...at all! Are they not terrified of you like other kids in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm getting soft in my old age or this generation of kids has not learned to respect each other or me. I say it is the latter, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, now i have a blogging question for you. or a couple actually. I've seen several blogs with a pic to click on that takes you to mormon.org. You have the temple picture. How do you do this?? Also, i had someone tell me before, but i have forgotten how to make a word a hyperlink in a post so you can click on it to look at previous posts or another website. could you enlighten me??

    Thanks!
    Kelsie

    ReplyDelete