Pages

9.25.2010

Old Dog, New Trick

Dog is old but she's as clever as ever.  When the weather was a sweltering 102, we allowed Dog to come into the house during the hottest part of the day...even though she'd had her yearly shampoo and cut.  We were concerned for her well being since she is old, 91 in dog years.

It's mid-September and she still thinks she has to come in, she'll actually beat Husband to the door when he comes home at lunch, nearly knocking him down to get in the house.

Not only does she come in at lunch when Husband comes home, she's taken to spending the night in the house too.  I have no clue why or how this little habit got started.

Her latest trick though has me completely baffled.

Yesterday, and a few days before, she wasn't in the laundry room like she's suppose be and the door leading out of the laundry room was open.  Where the heck is the dog, I'm wondering.  How the heck did she open the door, was my next thought.  

The first time this happened she was in the middle of the kitchen floor.  Yesterday she was in the living room...sound asleep!  
Today she took things one step further. 

Dog doesn't like thunderstorms.  Usually she just goes to the barn and hides till it's over.  Not today.  

Husband and I were in the den reveling in the rain that's falling and listening to the thunder.  We looked out the window and what did we see?  Dog running past the window heading toward the back door.  

I look at Husband, he looks at me.  I say, do you think she wants in?  He says, I don't know, do you think she does?  He goes to the back door.  

Sure enough she was waiting, staring at the glass storm door willing it to open.  Husband let her in, gave her a Milkbone and closed the door to the laundry room.

About ten minutes later, she starts whining and scratching at the door.  She has NEVER done this before.  Never, ever.  I didn't think she even knew how to whine!

Husband went to check on her.  As soon as the door was opened, she made a b-line for the den.  She walked around like she owned the place!  Where did this come from, I asked myself. 

Husband and I just sat and watched her, in complete amazement as she wandered around sniffing.  

She finally picked a spot to lay down by the French door...until the first clap of thunder.  

Then she planted herself here...


as close to Husband and me as possible.

I don't quite know how to deal with this.  

I prefer my Dog to be here,


outside, where doggies belong.  Baby Sis and Daughter would disagree.

If Baby Sis and Daughter read this post, they will be doing cartwheels at the prospect of Dog becoming a full time inside dog.

Dream on sistas. 


1 comment: