Pages

9.17.2010

Mummified

Ahhhh.  Last day of Homecoming festivities at HHS.  

But not before some craziness.  

Craziness in the likes of...

Decorated doors.



This is New Math Teacher's creative attempt
at door decorating or perhaps  it was
her student's


I'm not making light of her/their attempts.
Oh no, not at all.  I admire their outside-the-box thinking.
I didn't even attempt to 
decorate mine.
Yeah, I know, I'm a loser.

Craziness in the likes of...

Painted faces


 The craziest of the craziness....

MUMS.

mum2




mum 1

Boys also have their mum in the 
form of a garter.

mum5

And the little ones have one that's just right...
kinda like Baby Bear.


mum4


Twenty five years ago I experienced my first mum.  Mother-in-law was a florist at the time and she made daughter her first mum.  Daughter was eighteen months old, yes they start them out young.  I don't mean to make light of this Texas tradition but you have to admit, mums are something to behold.

I've tried researching why the Homecoming mum became such a tradition but have had no luck.  Everyone I ask tells me that they've just always existed.  Originally they were made from fresh mums, now they use artificial flowers, always in the school's colors, along with all kinds of embellishments.   The more 'stuff' on them the better. 

Mother-in-law was a mean mum maker.  Her's were always flashy, clever and big.  I used to help her every year during Homecoming season with the mums, we spent many late nights with a hot glue gun, ribbons and artificial flowers as late night companions. 

The most expensive mum I recall her making cost $120.00.  Yep, you read that right, $120.00.  The guy buying it wanted to spend that much on the mum for his girlfriend.  MIL was worried on how she was going to put 120.00 worth of stuff on the mum. When all was said and done, there was a teddy bear in the center, ribbons galore, trinkets everywhere and the pièce de résistance, twinkling-battery-operated-Christmas-lights.  I wish we'd taken a picture.  

That was twenty five years ago, no telling what that mum would cost today.

Mums are an integral part of the Homecoming experience in Texas.  I know of grown women that are really hurt if the Hubs doesn't give them one each year at Homecoming, no worries here though.  I also know of women who still have the mums they got in high school...these women are now in their mid-thirties.  Honest.  

I don't know of any other state that has the mum tradition.  I used to think they are a waste of money.  Now, I see that these works of handicraft are so very important to the girls that receive them.  

Little girls are excited and giddy to have their name called over the PA system on the Friday of Homecoming the following need to come to the office to pick-up their mums, Suzy Jones, Mary Smith...
For the high school girl, it's a representation of her true love's love or an endearing way of expressing your friendship.  Grandparents use mums as a way of connecting with their grandchildren.  Varied are the reasons for giving/getting a Homecoming mum.

mum3

I've grown fond of the Homecoming mum.

Maybe I've gone crazy.

Or it's a sign that I'm getting old. 

Or I've been in Texas too, too, long.

Whatever the reason, mums have grown on me...but you'll never catch me wearing one.

6 comments:

  1. Reading about Homecoming Week makes me nostalgic. I don't want to go back to it by any means, but it was fun while it lasted. I think I have a box somewhere with mums in it from elementary school all the way through... Ahhh, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny.. I never knew that mums were a TEXAS thing.. I thought everyone got them. Ill have to ask my friends here about that. Also- when did you start working at Harmony. I was shocked a few posts back when I saw you were at HHS now.. instead of good ol' GHS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mother-in-law sure did make awesome mums. I was the proud recipient of many of her mums. Since my dad finds them silly I definately would not have gotten one if it weren't for her. Ahhh, the good ole days. It will be fun when my girls start wearing them. Since they don't sit still enough to take them to football games, yet, they don't know about them. I sure it won't be long before that changes. Love all your east texas posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not from Texas and had never seen one until we moved here. How do they not tip over some are so heavy. One of my boys girlfriend did not like or want a mum so I made her and anti-mum. A mum with a red circle with a line thru it. It was funny to see her face when he gave it to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shaw7290, I've been at HHS for four years now and absolutely love it. I'm afraid I can't place you! It happens after 17 years and close to 1,000 students! Did I have you as a student?

    Mauna, I would have loved to have seen the 'anti-mum', I'm sure it rivaled any mum...you are so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Austin- shaw7290 is Cassey Billingsley! ooops.. sorry!

    ReplyDelete