Pages

8.07.2010

Just Call Me Guy

I don't watch much TV.  My viewing consists of HGTV, FitTV, USA and the Food Network.  I like the Food Network.  It inspires me to want to cook.  Notice I said it inspires me 'to want to cook' not 'to cook'.  I'm not a very good cook.  There are a few dishes that I cook and cook well but I'll never be mistaken for Martha...or Giada...or Ina...or Julia...or, well you get the picture. 

I do enjoy a good restaurant, though.  I mean, what's not to like about going to a restaurant.  Someone fixes the food, someone brings it to you, someone else cleans up the mess and all you have to do is pick something from a menu, eat it and then pay for it.  Any guesses on what my favorite Food Network show might be?  If you guessed Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, you guessed correctly.

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is a show I can get into.  Guy Fieri knows how to make me want to go to wherever they are and taste whatever they are eating.  I've told you before that Portland has great places to eat; so in a nod the Triple D and Guy here's the latest place I visited this past week...'cept I didn't get to go into the kitchen and watch them cook or get to taste everything on the menu.

I mentioned to Baby Sis that I hadn't had good fried chicken since Husband's grandmother passed away.  She said she knew just the place to go.




The atmosphere is homey.  And boy, the place was crowded.




I like how on the menu they subtlety let you know that they fix the chicken as you order it...unlike a certain Colonel. 

We started off with some hush puppies...why are round mounds of fried cornmeal called hush puppies?



Here's what you get when you order the chicken.  Yes, it is a HUGE piece of chicken; there was another piece under this one, plus some excellent mashed potatoes.  The chicken was perfect.



Brother-in-law ordered the meatloaf; here's what he got.


The onion rings were yuummmy.

We saved room for dessert.  We each ordered something different and then rotated the plates to get a taste of each one.  They were all wonderful.  Our favorite was the lemon blueberry cake with cream cheese frosting in the foreground.


Baby Sis knows how to pick a good place to eat.  I can't wait for my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment