Pages

7.29.2010

Not Ready For a Close-up

As far back as I can remember, I've always been fascinated by nature.  Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was one of my favorite programs growing up...Google that if you don't know what I'm talking about.   I love to see things in their natural setting, well, everything except snakes and creepy crawly things.  And things that might bite, or sting, or hurt you, or spray you...like a skunk.  Whenever I'm outside,  I pay close attention to nature; sights, sounds, smells.  I imagine it's out of self preservation.

I was pulling weeds out of the grass today and made a couple of observations.  
 
Observation 1: owls are not completely nocturnal.  I heard one at 1:00 p.m.  Can an owl suffer from insomnia?  Hmmm.

Observation 2:  some bugs prefer to not have their picture taken while they are in the process of transporting their meal.


This not so little critter doesn't care to have its picture taken.  I had my camera set on the macro setting, trying to get a nice, tight close-up.  I get as physically close as I can, thinking that its so absorbed in transporting its one inch long caterpillar of a meal that it won't mind a close-up.  
 
It stopped in its tracks.  
I was focusing the camera when it dropped its one inch long caterpillar of a meal, hovered above its one inch long caterpillar of a meal and began to fly toward me.  
 
Remember how I feel about things that might sting?  Yeah, I began to back away.  It returned to it's one inch long caterpillar of a meal.  
 
I tried once again to get a close up...umm, it began to hover again.  I backed up again.  It began to follow me but quickly returned to its one inch long caterpillar of a meal.  I stopped backing up.  It hovered back over to its one inch long caterpillar of a meal.  Then thought better of it and began to fly toward me again.  
 
I decided to forgo getting a nice, tight close-up.  I don't think I'm cut out to be a paparazzi...I scare off to easily.

1 comment: