Pages

6.11.2010

Techies

During the summer, for the past I don't know how long, I've had to attend workshops to maintain my teacher certification.  I would love to attend workshops/conferences that were geared toward Spanish but such is not the case.  So, what I do is attend technology workshops.  I feel so very out of place among all these techno-geeks...well sort of.  I've attended these type of workshops so often that sometimes I feel like I have become one of the techno-geeks.  I know just enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about but not enough to undo problems I might create. 

Today I added a few megabytes of knowledge to my intellectual hard drive...sorry, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to use my, ahem, vast knowledge of techno lingo.  My students are going to be wowed by the new tricks I learned to do on a Power Point. I also got to play with one of these:

It was quite fun.  I think...I would like one.   I do realize, though, that an iPod Touch will do pretty much the same things, at a much lower price.  I know, I know, you can't get books on the iPod Touch.  But, do you really want to read your books electronically?  Recently, Real Simple magazine had an ad on the back cover for an iPad touting how wonderful it would be to read Winnie the Pooh to your children using the iPad.  I don't think so, nuh uhh, not me.  Winnie the Pooh needs to read as A. A Milne intended it to be, in book form.  I mean, how so you hand down an electronic book to your grandchildren?  Some things are just not meant to be technified.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little on the fence as well in my relationship with technology. I just can't imagine cuddling with my children and a computer screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be hard to cuddle a cold piece of plastic/metal!

    ReplyDelete