Pages

11.11.2008

This Nation

Today is Veteran's Day. There was an assembly at work today to honor some of the local veterans. Only a handful attended, I suppose that was because there are fewer and fewer of the older veterans to attend such gatherings. Although, I think we fail to realize that all military men and women, whether they saw battle or not, are veterans...prehaps they also fail to recognize themselves as such also and therefore don't attend. There were a couple of younger veterans, 30 and under, most however were veterans of WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. I thought of my brother throughout the entire program. I am proud of him for having served as a Marine, the coolest branch of the military in my opinion, and am so grateful that he didn't see combat. I do know, however, that he would have willingly served in that capacity. As I always do, I cried at the playing of the National Anthem and then I really cried when there was a Power Point presentation that depicted military personnel coming home to their families, either alive or in caskets. I wasn't the only one who was moved, I heard several sniffles behind me.



I love this nation. I am so glad that I became a citizen eight years ago, it was really only a formality because I have always felt as if I were a citizen of the United States. Despite all of the turmoil that is going on right now, I don't think that there is a better place in the world to live.

2 comments:

  1. yes it works, tell mom to blog more. like about the remodel

    ReplyDelete