Pages

9.25.2008

On the Radio

Driving to work on Thursday I tuned in a local radio station, 99.9 KMOO. Yes. K-MOO. I'd known of this station for some time, though I'd never listened to it. This is a locally owned station, (an acquaintance of ours is the owner, a great guy with a very touching story) the feel of it is like stations of the 50's, it felt as if I had stepped back in time. I thought I should be driving a 1959 Chevy not a 2009 Toyota. The programming is country but not like the majority of country stations you hear in large markets. It is 'old school' country with all the steel guitar and twang you could ever want, with a small smattering of newer artists. This is what I was expecting to hear; instead, what I heard at 7:10 a.m. was a list of up-coming/pending funerals...not as morbid as it sounds...all done with great respect and taste. After this there were a few commercials for a few of the local business, by local I mean anything within a 70 mile radius. Then, the first song as I drove to work. I don't remember the song but I do remember the artist, Reba McIntyre. Not so 'old school' you say. Well, this was Reba at her earliest when the twang was, if you can believe it, even more pronounced! There were other country artists I'd never heard of but obviously they had had their 15 minutes at one time.

I kept the radio tuned to KMOO and listened again as I drove to aerobics class at 6:00 p.m. This time they were broadcasting the "General Store" or maybe it was the "Country Store". This programming entailed people calling in with things they had to sell or things they were looking to buy. Think classified ads on the air. It was quite enlightening. In the 15 minutes it took to get to the gym I heard someone selling a Mr. Coffee coffee maker for $10.00, someone selling a boat, a Hurricane Ike evacuee looking for work to hold them over until they could get back to Galveston, someone looking to buy scrap metal, dogs and cats for sale or "free to a good home" and many others I can't remember. It was all so quaint. Driving down the country roads that it takes to get to anywhere out here, while listening to this station, made me feel as if time had slowed way down. I enjoyed my foray into KMOO. Give it a listen; they're on the web
http://www.kmoo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment